October 5, 2012

Breathe on Me, Breath of God

Fill me with life anew.

Breathe on Me, Breath of God was written by the Anglican Priest, Edwin Hatch (1825-1889). A noted scholar and Church historian, he wrote a con­cor­dance to the Sep­tu­a­gint, Essays in Biblical Greek (1889). Breathe on Me, Breath of God was first published in the pamphlet, Between Doubt and Prayer (1878) and was set to the tune, Yattendon by Harry Wooldridge (1845-1917), but is often sung to Trentham, as in the video below. In the Liturgy of the Hours it is used during Ordinary Time for Daytime Mid-Morning Prayer.

Alternative Tune: Trentham

BREATH ON ME, BREATH OF GOD
by Edwin Hatch, 1879, Public Domain

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Blend all my soul with Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a nice version that you might enjoy, uploaded to YouTube in 2009 by the Sambayanihan Filipino Ministry, St. Mary Catholic Church in Huntley, IL. It uses a traditional Irish tune, attributed to St. Columba, if the Youtube blurb is right. Very pretty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDHh1FTBfDnHg&v=Hh1FTBfDnHg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks