November 4, 2012

All Praises to You, O God, This Night

For All The Blessings Of The Light

All Praise to You, O God, This Night, first published in 1709 was written by Anglical Bishop Thomas Ken (1637-1711). He is one of the early writers of congregational hymns for the Church of England. A number of them were intended for Morning and Evening prayer service. It is set to the tune, Illsley by John Bishop (1665-1737). A more commonly used melody is Tallis' Canon , as shown in the following video. In the Liturgy of the Hours, All Praise to You, O God, This Night is used during Ordinary Time for Night Prayer.

Tune: Tallis' Canon

ALL PRAISE TO THEE, MY GOD, THIS NIGHT by Thomas Ken, 1709 (Public Domain)

1. All praise to Thee, my God, this night,
For all the blessings of the light!
Keep me, O keep me, King of kings,
Beneath Thine own almighty wings.

2. Forgive me, Lord, for Thy dear Son,
The ill that I this day have done,
That with the world, myself, and Thee,
I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.

3. Teach me to live, that I may dread
The grave as little as my bed.
Teach me to die, that so I may
Rise glorious at the judgment day.

4. O may my soul on Thee repose,
And with sweet sleep mine eyelids close,
Sleep that may me more vigorous make
To serve my God when I awake.

5. When in the night I sleepless lie,
My soul with heavenly thoughts supply;
Let no ill dreams disturb my rest,
No powers of darkness me molest.

6. O when shall I, in endless day,
For ever chase dark sleep away,
And hymns divine with angels sing,
All praise to thee, eternal King?

7. Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks