December 26, 2012

My Loving Savior

Bitter Death and Shameful Crucifixion 

My Loving Savior is an Anthony G. Petti adaption of the Robert Bridges (1844-1930) 1897 translation, Ah, Holy Jesus, How Hast Thou Offended of the 1630 German hymn: Herzliebster Jesu by the Lutheran minister, Johann Heermann (1585-1647). In 1640 it was set to music by Johann Crüger (1598-1662). His tune, Herzliebster Jesu has since been adapted by many composers including: JS Bach (St. Matthew Passion), Johannes Brahms (Chorale Preludes for Organ), and Max Reger (Seven Pieces for Organ). In the Liturgy of the Hours, My Loving Savior is used during Holy Week.

Tune: Herzliebster Jesu

AH, HOLY JESUS, HOW HAST THOU OFFENDED by Robert Bridges, 1897 (Public Domain)

1. Ah, holy Jesus, how hast thou offended,
that man to judge thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.

2. Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon thee?
Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone thee.
'Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied thee:
I crucified thee.

3. Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
the slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered;
for our atonement, while we nothing heedeth,
God intercedeth.

4. For me, kind Jesus, was thy incarnation,
thy mortal sorrow, and thy life's oblation;
thy death of anguish and thy bitter passion,
for my salvation.

5. Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay thee,
I do adore thee, and will ever pray thee,
think on thy pity and thy love unswerving,
not my deserving.

Alternative Tune

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks