August 17, 2013

Lord Jesus, Once You Spoke to Men

O Help Us Listen Now, As Then

Lord Jesus, Once You Spoke to Men was written by the Rev. Canon Howard Charles Adie Gaunt (1902-1983). Known as Tom Gaunt, he served as headmaster of Malvern College, UK from 1937–1953. He was a contributor to the British supplementary hymn collection: 100 Hymns for Today, first published in 1969. Although in the Divine Office it is set to the tune O Jesu Mi Dulcissime, it is more commonly associated with the tune, Winchester New (as featured in the following video). In the Liturgy of the Hours, Lord Jesus, Once You Spoke to Men is used with the Office of Readings.


Tune: Winchester New

1 comment:

  1. I am a 63 year old lifelong catholic layperson. For the past 2 years I have been following the Liturgy of the hours, usually invitatory, office of readings and night prayer and others when I can. Despite my years of uninterupted catholicism, I have no knowledge whatsoever of the majority of the hymns of the Liturgy. I am old enough and am blessed with enough preservation of brain cells to remember the Latin Ordinary Hymns.
    I believe that the singing of the hymns and to a certain extent the Psalms has the possibility of enhancing this prayer further.
    I would like to thank you for providing the tunes to these hymns. However I am not a musician or possessed of an ability to meld the words to the melodies. I need at least a karaoke like text or preferably a musical notation on a staff to help guard against off key singing by croakers like me.
    I realize that I am asking a lot to suggest more than the considerable amount of work exhibited here already. If there is another site with the sheet music and combines with your tunes. it may be all that I need. I do not wish to be overly demanding or anyone else's cross to bear. I only want to seek out the possibilities to make the Liturgy of the hours and the hymns a more valuable path to god. No matter what will come I expect that my use of your site will improve my choral prayer.

    John P. Kohler, MD
    jpmk320@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks