January 17, 2014

Poem: The Call (Come, My Way)


The Call (Come, My Way) is a poem by George Herbert (1593–1633). It was published posthumously in 1633 as part of the collection, The Temple. In 1911, the British composer Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958) published Five Mystical Songs, a setting of five of Herbert's poems from The TempleThe Call (Come, My Way), along with two other of Herbert's poems from Five Mystical Songs: Easter, and Love are included in the Hymns and Religious Poems (Eastertide) Appendix of the Divine Office (1974).


Produced by Blackfriar Films

THE CALL by George Herbert, 1633 (Public Domain)

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath:
Such a Truth, as ends all strife:
Such a Life, as killeth death.

Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength:
Such a Light, as shows a feast:
Such a Feast, as mends in length:
Such a Strength, as makes his guest.

Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart:
Such a Joy, as none can move:
Such a Love, as none can part:
Such a Heart, as joyes in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but they won't be published immediately. I moderate them first, just to weed out spam etc.

- Thanks